Monday, April 2, 2012

What?!?! I can't spend?

Am I crazy or what?!? I'd like to think I'm not crazy, but rather just being smart!  After being inspired by someone else who did a no spend January, Ryan and I have decided to for the most part, be off limits to our own money! With Ryan finishing up in nursing school and having an infant in the house we decided that it would be best for me to go part time so that I would have the flexibility to pick and choose the days that I work.  Mostly, so that he could study, but also so we could have at least one day a week to eat dinner together as a family. So what are the rules for this "adventure"?
Other than bills, gas, and groceries the rule goal is for NOTHING to come out of the checking accounts.
There are three exceptions:
1. Landon needed a bumbo type chair and there's one that is a bumbo/exersaucer in one. He's ready for it so there is no more putting it off!
2. Proverbs 31 weekend at church! Very excited about this and I can't fathom saying "sorry Lord it's no spend month!" That would be downright dumb.
3. We decided to pay for Starfall this year.  They've added some new features including colors and we are really excited about it.  Hannah is a little bit behind for her age and we really feel that with her schoolwork and using this website we can help her catch up better.

Other than that, Ryan and I allotted $20 each for the entire month as free money. (I mean after all, a girl can't lose all her happy hour drinks!) Ryan is also in clinicals every Sunday except Easter and there is no where for him to leave a packed lunch or heat one up for that matter.

We have some extra money set aside for things that come up unexpectedly, but I'm really hoping to be able to put all that into savings at the end of the month! However, this has already been tested. 

Trial #1 April 2nd
The iron pooped out. If you put water in the steamer it pours out the bottom. While I hate ironing, I LOVE the steam feature!!! Creative solution...I had some things that I needed to return to Wal-mart so the new iron had to be covered by the amount of the returned items.  May not be the fanciest iron, but I bet it will get the wrinkles out!
Crisis avoided!!!

I'm really excited about this and I'm hoping that it goes smooth enough to do every other month for a year! Keep checking back for more updates!!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE IT!! I like the creative solution for the broken iron!! Hang in there, 2 days down! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete