Thursday, January 13, 2011

saving mommy!

I have always liked loved coupons. I learned it at an early age.  My mom used to spend $150 a month to feed the four of us.  When I was fairly young and spending one of many weekends at Ann's she told me to pick out cereal and I asked what the coupon she had was for. (she promptly and sarcastically informed me she didn't use coupons.) I was born with it in my blood...it's what I do. Mom has joked more than once that I've passed her in my couponing craze.  So here's the dilemma...I WANT MORE!!! When we were just a mere family of three I was spending about $120 a WEEK on groceries.  Makes me mad now that I look back on it. When I had Hannah who came out with all kinds of expensive problems that you can't use coupons on (I guess Dr's don't like coupons) I tried very hard to cut back to $100 a week. It didn't always come out to that but hey I was "trying".  This year I've become so much more passionate about saving money.  So this week I joined the new mega couponing craze.  I think I did it pretty well for it being my first week. I checked blogs, compared sales, and made lists...as in more than one store.  First stop was homeland.  Let me lay it out for you. I spent $19 and saved $46.  woo hoo.  I got things like lunch meat for free!!! Shampoo and conditioner for $0.50 each can of soup for $0.13...the list goes on and on.  I continued my way through stores and sales and while I'm not stopping here I am pleased to tell you that I will feed our family of four breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks as well as the extra items that I stock piled at super low prices for only $80.  That's adding a person and taking off about $40 a week.  The best part of this is that ALL of the food that I purchased this week is HEALTHY. While I'm not satisfied with my overall total yet, I will pat myself on the back for a job well started!

No comments:

Post a Comment